Thursday, December 8, 2011

Twelve Tags of Christmas....Day 4

Onwards and upwards I do say!!!!
This tag didn't turn out too bad. If you want to check out the T.Holtz tag...take a gander.
Aaand what did I do differently?
1.) I didn't have distress stain to work with. So I used Stampin up re-inkers (because apparently at one time I figured I needed reinkers and have a box full of them. Hmmm, I don't use them and I totally forgot about them.That's how dedicated a 'stamper' I am.) Now, re-inkers are a tad different than the distress stains. I have educated myself and watched some youtube demos etc....distress stains are a watered down version of distress ink. Stampin up re-inkers.....well they`re potent!!!! Like any other re-inker, a little is meant to go a really really really long way. And needless to say, as I was swiping my tag through my strategically placed re-inkers on my good ol`craft mat (thanks mom!) that I had re-inker EVERYWHERE!
It got out of control. And I might have panicked. A tad. I`m so glad that I did this after hours (after kids were sleeping). I can`t imagine doing this while Lil`Miss had her fingers in there. Ye GADS! Anyhow, the background ended up a whole lot darker than I had anticipated and wanted... SO
2.) To fix this mess I went to town with my marshmellow glimmer mist. CHECK! It toned the whole background down enough so my snowman scene didn`t look like he was stuck in a dark, dreary tornado cloud. Now he`s just in a dark snowstorm. Add some strategically stamped snowflakes and voila! background is usable.
3.) Thank goodness, back when my big shot still lived, I was so fixated on cutting flowers out of underwear packaging that I created a bit of a stash of transparency flowers. So I could paint up some of those flowers, cut them in half and stick them on the tag. Whew. Dodged that bullet.
4.) The snowman I had to trace from some basic grey chipboard shapes (the snowman had been used on another project....but his outline was still there...traced onto some textured grunge paper and cut out with old fashioned scissors!), distress inked and crackled with paint.
5.) And of course the number 25 was done with thickers, stamped with a stamp and covered in stampin up crystal effects.
Everything else is pretty self explanatory by looking at the picture. Oh yes. I did give in and go shopping at my fav. scrap store TM and bought some TH seasonal metal embellishments. Hence why there is a TH metal embellishment on the tag. I don`t normally buy this kind of stuff, but TM was doing an advent calendar, and I picked lucky 13 and got 20% off my entire purchase. I bought a couple sheets of bazzil and the package of embellishments. There, my conscience in now clear. Oh buyer`s remorse, you have no pity.
And that`s about it for this tag!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, this one's my favorite...mostly because I like the snowman...and I didn't know it was a bird on the last one...:P

G

S said...

The background looks pretty good. Thank goodness for Glimmer Mist! Are the tags just tags, or Grungepaper?

Looks pretty good!